Teaching is through a combination of lectures and tutorials; independent study is also expected. The College has a lecture theatre and seminar rooms that will be used for classes.
You may be assessed through writing essays, class tests, exams, presentations and group work and participation through our Virtual Learning Environment. This all plays a part in continuous assessment and your final grade.
Each member of teaching staff has office hours when they are available to offer academic support to students.
In addition to teaching spaces, there is the Shaikh Hamdan Library, the Shaikh Maktoum Garden, an IT suite, and a Common Room containing a television, seating, activities and vending machines.
The College has links with other local education providers and we are pleased that our students can take advantage of some of their services. Al-Maktoum College students can access discounted prices at the University of Dundee’s Institute of Sport and Exercise via the associate membership package.
The Shaikh Hamdan Library is located on the Ground Floor of the College and consists of two rooms:
Mostly reference works on a variety of subjects, all in Arabic.
Lending and reference works related to currently-taught programmes on a variety of subjects, all in English.
The library also has subscriptions for the following journals:
- British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies
- International Journal of Middle East Studies
- Islam and Christian-Muslim Relations
- Journal of Islamic Studies
- Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs
- Journal of Qur’anic Studies
- The Muslim World
The Library is open from 09.00-18.30, Monday – Friday (closed weekends)
The following facilities are available:
- Study space – located in the Arabic Collection (more study space is available in the IT Suite on the Second Floor of the College)
- Photocopier/Printer – located in the IT Suite on the Second Floor of the College
- Computers – located in the IT Suite on the Second Floor of the College
Access the Library Catalogue here
Search for a course